[ih] Speaking of layering and gateways

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Apr 17 20:36:14 PDT 2024

Thanks, Greg - I agree that there's lots of tools, papers, and
information within the communities of network operators about today's
experiences in operating parts of the Internet.  A year or so ago, I
even gave a keynote talk at one of their conferences - APRICOT2022.

What I was seeking was more of the history of network operations,
ideally from people who have actually been involved in operating such
networks.   Not just today's practices, procedures, tools and
techniques, but also past practices in operating the Internet, and how
they might have evolved over the 40+ years on Internet operations.

In the days of the later Arpanet, I was "Chief Network Architect" at
BBN, where we were not only continuing to operate the Arpanet, but also
implementing the same technology in the DDN and many other networks.  In
those days (mid-late 1980s) at BBN there was a fairly large group of
mathematicians who did extensive collection of data about network
operations, and used it to make decisions such as where to place a new
node, what capacity lines to interconnect and where to do so, and what
changes to internal algorithms would have when fully deployed.  They
also had techniqus to project traffic changes , such as when a new large
user or application was to be brought online, in order to get necessary
equipment and circuit changes in place to accommodate the new traffic.

In contrast, I was personally involved in operating internets, first
when the research Internet was declared to be operational and later when
working with an international corporate internet.  As I noted earlier,
most of our decisions were made by instinct and intuition, using
whatever tools we could find or build and with no "operating manual" to
be found.   The Internet was and is much more complicated than the
Arpanet, so the earlier tools and techniques didn't readily apply.  We
knew how to operate and manage the Arpanet and its clones; we didn't
know how to do the same for the Internet.

So, for the sake of history, I was hoping that perhaps there were other
people lurking on this list who may have been involved over the last 3
decades or so in operating some piece of the Internet or corporate net
using the same technology, and could comment on their experience - how
they made decisions, how they collected data to inform such decisions,
what tools were used, etc.

There's been a lot of discussion on this list of the history of the
technology as captured in things like RFCs, algorithms, and protocols.
But there's often a huge gap between documentations and specifications
and actual practice in the field.  I haven't seen much discussion of the
operations aspect of the Internet and how it has changed over the years.

Jack Haverty