[ih] Speaking of layering and gateways

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Apr 16 12:30:29 PDT 2024

On 4/16/24 02:21, Johan Helsingius via Internet-history wrote:
> On 16/04/2024 07:46, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:
>> Especially - bits can be duplicated and retransmitted at low cost;
>> furniture can't.
>
> In my last home move, a lot of the furniture ended up in bits...
>
>     Julf

I agree that analogies have a limit.   But even "stuff", like furniture,
can be and is retransmitted.   Occasionally when I receive a package
that has been mauled in transit, I report it to the sender, who usually
promptly sends me another one.  No doubt insurance companies might be
involved too, who investigate who to blame and allocate costs
accordingly.   My "packet drop rate" for packages is very small but
non-zero, and the "error detection" is done by me at the endpoint.   If
the box arrives with a hole in it, extra inspection is warranted.   I
suspect also that if a "drop rate" climbs, the sender makes changes to
its packaging and shipping processes to get the losses back down to an
acceptable level.

In the Internet universe, it was useful to be able to monitor such
packet (errr, datagram) behavior.   SNMP mechanisms were defined long
ago to glean data from TCP endpoints, where statistics about drops,
duplicates, retransmissions, checksum failures, and such were accessible.

When I was involved, 30 years ago, in operating a corporate internet
(intranet), we actually gathered such data especially when trying to
figure out incidents reported by users' complaints such as "the net is
really slow today".   I recall instances where we used that data to
isolate error-prone, but still functional, circuits. Transpacific
circuits were especially problematic, at least 30 years ago.   In other
cases, we sometimes found bugs in a vendor's TCP implementation.   You
can't trust that an implementation actually behaves as the RFC
specifications dictate.  TCP's robustness is actually a detriment in
such situations.   TCP's mechanisms keep data flowing, but also hide
problems until they become very severe.

I also recall an Internet meeting, back in the 80s, where we debated the
question "What should be the "normal" drop rate for IP datagrams"?
Someone eventually shouted out "One percent", and the group quickly
reached a consensus.   No analysis, no OR, no equations or models were
involved.  It just seemed right to the group.

I'm glad to see that there has been some work to apply science such as
Operations Research to the Internet world.  I remember from my short
exposure to OR that it was often used to improve decision-making.
Decisions might where to add a new airline route, or whether to expand
an existing manufacturing plant capacity or build a new plant somewhere,
and where to build it.  In operating a distributed system, there are
many such decisions to be made - such as what is a "normal" drop rate
for IP datagrams.   Or perhaps "How long can a datagram be in transit
before the Internet is considered broken for that user?"

During my stint as a network operator, we never could find the "How to
Operate Your Internet" manual.  Decisions were made largely by instinct
and intuition rather than scientific analysis.

Some of our decisions were made using economic data, which was the only
data readily available.  For example, there was considerable demand for
traffic between our sites in Europe.  In one case, two offices could
actually almost see each other across a river.   But they were in
different countries and cross-boundary circuits were extremely
expensive.   At least at the time, it was much cheaper to run a circuit
from each country (in Europe) to New York City.   So all traffic, almost
line-of-sight "across the river" in Europe, actually crossed the
Atlantic, twice.  That greatly increased latency, but in those days we
weren't doing things like Zoom so it wasn't an issue.

How are such decisions reached today in the Internet?  What's the
process for deciding where to put an IXP?  Or where to run a new fiber?
Or where to put your equipment to build a cloud?   Or how to select
which ISP to connect your house or office to the Internet?

Perhaps someone has insight into how such decisions are performed today
in the Internet, how scientific methods such as OR are used, and how
such decision processes have changed over the 50 years of Internet
evolution.  Then compare to how its done in other environments such as
transportation of goods.  This might make a good topic for some
university thesis.

Jack Haverty