[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 48, Issue 13

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Nov 28 13:06:06 PST 2023

On 11/28/2023 9:34 AM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> All of this history was in my head, and probably many others, as we
> built the Arpanet, Internet, et al.   But I suspect the basic ideas
> were around even before the Greco-Roman age.

For any interesting technology, it is probably useful for a timeline to
distinguish basic concept from forms of implementation.  (One can, of
course, at other aspects of distinction.)

For this thread, distinguishing the concept of packet switching from the
service implementation might note manual (smoke, semaphore etc.) vs.
electric transmission (telegraph, computer), clear vs. coded/encrypted,
and routing that is manual  vs. automated.

I think tht covers the range of mechanisms that have been discussed in
this thread.

d/

--
Dave Crocker