[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 48, Issue 13

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Nov 28 09:34:48 PST 2023

In high school I had a teacher who was enamored of Roman history. So I
learned a bit about how Roman society worked, and in particular wartime
behavior.  The Romans (and many others of the age) had extensive
communications networks, using runners, ships, birds, fires, and
anything else handy to send information over long distances.   Their
networks had a serious problem with latency - days or weeks in transit
being a common problem.

One of the wartime techniques addressed the risk of the enemy spies
("intelligence agencies") intercepting messages, e.g., between generals
in Africa and the government in Rome.    The sender would create a
message on a scroll.   The communications wetware (slaves) would then
rip the scroll into pieces so that none of the pieces contained enough
information to be useful to an enemy.   The pieces would then be sent
separately, even by different means available, to the destination.
Some might go by ships, some by runners, on different routes.  At the
destination, the pieces would be gathered together and the original
scroll reconstructed.   Multiple copies of scrolls could be sent if the
routes were especially dangerous.

That sure sounds like "packet switching" to me...although the
terminology was created as computers arrived, the concepts were used in
ancient time.

I recall Vint explaining, at some early Internet meeting, that the word
"protocol" is derived from the Greek "protokolon", which was the section
at the beginning of a scroll that described exactly what the scroll
contained and other relevant "metadata".   Today we call them "headers".

All of this history was in my head, and probably many others, as we
built the Arpanet, Internet, et al.   But I suspect the basic ideas were
around even before the Greco-Roman age.

Jack Haverty

PS - that TV show I referenced was interesting because it goes well
beyond the basic ideas of digital communications, and explores how
humans reacted to it with "social media" and such.   It's here --
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8hgmp8   In the end, the inventor
concludes it was all a bad idea.....