[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 48, Issue 13

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Nov 28 14:20:09 PST 2023

Agreed.   I've often wondered what the ratio is between "inventions"
which introduced new concepts and those which just applied old concepts
using a new technology.

Another interesting comparison over a timeline would be the economics
aspects of communications.  Every mechanism I know about over history
has had some incremental "cost" to the sender of data. It cost you
something to communicate.  Telegrams cost money to send.  Scrolls
consumed the time of your ships and couriers, and your slaves to do the
copying, instead of tending the herds and crops.

Until the Internet... where I can send as much data as I want, at no
additional cost to me.   Or as many emails as I like, with no difference
in my communications bill.  Maybe we missed an important part of the
concept?

Jack Haverty