[ih] Somebody probably asked before - Trying to remember early net routing collapse

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Mar 20 17:11:16 PDT 2023

I am sure this has been discussed, but I can't seem to find it...

I vaguely remember a story involving some of Dave Mills' machines and a
memory error in IMPs or some other switching device that caused all of
the net's traffic to be forwarded through one struggling Fuzzy* or
PDP-11/03.

Could someone give me a pointer?

I once did something similar - back when we were using flood-and-prune
routing for IP multicast, I was working at a site where our inbound link
was a T-1.  Our internal net had several Cisco routers [2500 series] all
chatting away with DVMRP [the flood-and-prune multicast routing protocol
of that era.]  Anyway, while I was setting up one or our internal 25xx
routers I had not yet finished setting up the IP unicast routing.  But
that didn't stop my partially configured router from chatting away with
IGMP and DVMRP, it merely meant that that router could not send the
"prune, please stop sending me traffic!" message.

So that router eventually ended up at the end of every IP multicast
"flood" that was active on the MBone but without a way of saying "stop,
please stop!".  Our poor T-1 saturated.  I learned to not enable IP
multicast via DVMRP until my unicast routing was stable.  (We eventually
moved onto PIM for multicast routing.)

     --karl--