[ih] Installed base momentum (was Re: Design choices in SMTP)

Charles H. Sauer (he/him) sauer at technologists.com
Mon Feb 13 17:59:43 PST 2023

Staying on topic of installed base momentum...

In hindsight, the writing of TCP winning may seem to have been on the
wall by the early 90s, but from a PC perspective that seems a decade
early. The decision makers in Cupertino, Redmond, and Provo, saw need
for, and perhaps even preferred, AppleTalk, IPX/SPX, and SMB, until this
century.

A few specifics:
o Appletalk support stayed in macOS until 10.6 release in 2009
o Novell did not give preference to and natively support TCP/IP until
NetWare 5 in October 1998.
o Windows 95 was the first legacy Windows version to have acceptable TCP/IP
o Windows NT 3.5 in September 1994 was the first NT based version to
support TCP/IP
o Microsoft did not drop IPX/SPX until Windows Vista in 2007
o Windows 11 still seems to have some allowances for SMB

Charlie

voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer at technologists.com
fax: +1.512.346.5240         Web: https://technologists.com/sauer/
Facebook/Google/LinkedIn/Twitter: CharlesHSauer