[ih] Installed base momentum (was Re: Design choices in SMTP)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Feb 13 18:26:03 PST 2023

My observation about the early 90s was based on conversations I had at
the time with end-users - e.g., CTOs, CEOs, et al who were end-users of
computing technology critical to their businesses, struggling to develop
their own organization's networking strategy. When I met with such
people in the early 90s, they had pretty much all committed to TCP as
their target environment, with a plan to get there from their installed
base.   It surprised me at the time, but my background to then had been
as a networking vendor.

Networking and computing vendors were a little slower to realize TCP had
won.

Jack