[ih] Installed base momentum (was Re: Design choices in SMTP)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Feb 13 16:46:15 PST 2023

IMHO by the early 90s, TCP had already won the competition, and
organizations everywhere were working on transitioning to the Internet,
or perhaps more commonly their own TCP-based corporate intranet, perhaps
as a multiprotocol internet for a while.   Other networking technologies
still existed in the installed base, but TCP was getting all of the
attention.

The Web emergence in the mid 90s was possibly more a result of TCP's
success in enabling universal connectivity rather than a cause of TCP's
success.  Once it became obvious that TCP had "won", a company or
technology vendor had to adapt to it, rather quickly, or die.

There were earlier technologies that provided collaborative services
similar to those of the Web.   Lotus Notes is one I remember. Perhaps
also services like Compuserve or LexisNexis.  IIRC, Notes was based on
dial-up connections, not TCP.  IBM bought Lotus.   I don't know if Notes
became part of SNA.   But they're both pretty much gone while the Web,
based on TCP, explodes in size and reach. LexisNexis is still there,
living on the Web.

Jack