[ih] Installed base momentum (was Re: Design choices in SMTP)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:03:52 PST 2023

I gave my answer: TCP/IP came for free on Unix just when Unix was
taking over the universe.

We did "Interchange" solutions for email and file transfer at CERN.
GIFT, the file transfer gateway, started in 1985; MINT, the mail
interchange gateway, started in 1986. They were sinks for systems
programmer and operational resource, and getting rid of them was the
major driver for seeking a universal solution. By 1989, installing
TCP/IP plus its apps everywhere was simpler and cheaper.

> Today, it seems to me that IPV6 is still YANP.

I really don't think so, because IPv4 really has run out of
addresses and multiple layers of NAT are very, very painful.
But the timescale is vastly different from what we anticipated
in 1994, and we put too many features in IPv6.

Regards
    Brian Carpenter