[ih] IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Aug 30 17:23:35 PDT 2023

On 8/30/2023 4:46 PM, John Day via Internet-history wrote:
>   Without looking at the membership list, which I have, the only ‘vendors’ were phone companies that were vertically integrated

Until the late 1980s, vendors who participated were direct suppliers or
contractors for gov't funded R&D participants. Stray, independent
vendors were not allowed.

I wound up being the participant who broke down down that barrier.
Although active from 1972-1982, I'd been away for several years.  Then I
went to work for Ungermann-Bass and wound up managing its TCP/IP
development effort, since this was clearly emerging as a meaningful
commercial market.  We'd adapted some existing UB products (built
original with a UB-specific variation of XNS) to use TCP/IP.

I made the entirely uncreative observation that if we were going into
this market and the specs were changing rapidly, gosh, we should be in
the meetings.

My request to participate caused quite a lot of controversy in the
community.  I think it was Bob Braden who got the group to agree, by
using what an entirely well-intentioned but, in my few, entirely
inappropriate point:  Everyone knew me already.  So cronyism got me in,
rather than a formal change in policy.

However it established the precedent and for the IETF meeting after
that, everything was open to the many new vendors wanting to attend.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking