[ih] IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Aug 30 11:42:11 PDT 2023

On 8/30/2023 10:17 AM, Darius Kazemi via Internet-history wrote:
> Comparing the NWG (at least in the early days of NCP) and IETF seems to me
> like comparing a radical experiment in collaboration, experimentation, and
> flexibility to... a standards body. Very much apples to oranges?

I disagree.

The real process today is bottom-up development of community interest in
a topic.  Same as much of the original Arpanet work. (No, no all.  But
much.)  Given enough interest, work proceeds. When and whether the
formal IETF process come into play varies enormously.  And it should.

The formal anointing of a working group is quite different in the IETF
that it was in the Arpanet,  And yet...

RFC733 came out of Arpa tasking a few of us with stabilizing email
content formats.  The 'official' group of 4 of us had extensive and
ongoing interactions with the community, eventually converging on what
was published.  We asked Arpa to let the title include the word
'standard' as a way of signaling that this had 'official' support.
(There was some public outcry at our officiousness.  Still, it worked.)

The process of producing RFC822, which adapted RFC733 to the Internet,
was similar, albeit with only one editor.

MIME and ESMTP came out of Vint's tasking one of his folk to get email
to support International character sets. These work was done fully in
the relatively new IETF.

My point is that the spirit of the process for then and now is, for the
most part and of course IMO, really quite similar.  And this shouldn't
be surprising.  The culture of specification development that the
Arpanet had was spectacularly successful and explicitly maintained into
the formal IETF.

d/

--
Dave Crocker