[ih] IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Wed Aug 30 17:02:24 PDT 2023

The attendees at IETF #1 are known and the breakdown is:

   - five university reps (two from MIT [one as an IAB rep], one from
   UMICH, one from Stanford, one USC-ISI)
   - five vendors (BBN CC [which sold routers and IMPS], Proteon, M/A Com,
   Linkabit, and Ford Aerospace]
   - six from research labs (SRI, BBN Labs, MITRE)
   - two government people

Craig

On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 5:57 PM Vint Cerf via Internet-history <

> John is correct that INWG in its early period and even as IFIP WG 6.1 has a
> pretty strong academic character.
> IETF would have been similar in its early 1986 formation. There are
> probably available attendance statistics for the IETF of today and I would
> not be surprised to see a pretty healthy industry component. Nonetheless,
> with some notable exceptions, my impression is that IETF WGs are still
> pretty collaborative across corporate boundaries.

> On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 4:47 PM John Day via Internet-history <
> internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> > Jumping in. INWG in the mid-70s was a different time. Without looking at
> > the membership list, which I have, the only ‘vendors’ were phone
> companies
> > that were vertically integrated. DEC and Xerox were there. Otherwise, it
> > was researchers and academics. I would guess about half and half as far
> as
> > who was at the meetings, not just on the mailing list. Who did I miss?
> >
> > Vint?
> >
> > > On Aug 30, 2023, at 19:38, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history <
> > internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Vint,
> > International
> > >
> > > Isn't there one significant demographic difference, though: the modern
> > > IETF has a *much* higher fraction  of participants employed by vendors
> > > than the INWG and the early IETF? Despite the rule that people
> > participate
> > > as individuals, I suspect that this has a major impact on the way ideas
> > > flow and mingle.
> > >
> > >    Brian

> darius.kazemi at gmail.com

> > to me
> experimentation,
> > and

> correct
> > me
> > piece
> is
> that
> > the

> FTP,
> > et
> > evolved
> roughly
> on
> > how
> way.
> > indeed

> Internet-history
> > <

> > they
> (did
> printed?).

> the

> application

> > about
> wrong
> > WWW

> Please send any postal/overnight deliveries to:
> Vint Cerf
> Google, LLC
> 1900 Reston Metro Plaza, 16th Floor
> Reston, VA 20190
> +1 (571) 213 1346
>

> until further notice

*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and