[ih] Memories of Flag Day?

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu Aug 10 16:13:36 PDT 2023

Frantisek Borsik wrote in
 <CAJUtOOjm8Ym4JrAyv3s172odaoE4tVNbh3E4wDSk07=KemwAZA at mail.gmail.com>:
 |*RE:* "I would rather reread Simone de Beauvoir's memoirs, they shall
 |live in and eat dense worlds that evaluated over real lifetime
 |(books)."
 |
 |*https://www.removepaywall.com/https:/www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/style/d\
 |igital-divide-screens-schools.html
 |<https://www.removepaywall.com/https:/www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/style/d\
 |igital-divide-screens-schools.html>*
 |
 |Me too. Because: *“The digital divide was about access to technology, and
 |now that everyone has access, the new digital divide is limiting access to
 |technology.”*

Her father then had lesser and lesser money.

Well, it is a bit off-topic (again), .., but it was Anton Pavlovič
Čechov who said that "technology is the only hope" while being
(also etc) doctor on the russian countryside (cannot find the
citation right now).  In a completely different context the Club
of Rome gave this as one of the two possibilities in its "Limits
to Growth" (do not ask me no questions).
I never believed it.  I read a citation of an african catholic
i think bishop (i really have to find _that_ citation), who said at
the beginning of the 60s something like "in the year 2700, when
the white man has destroyed life on earth, the age of the
Africans begins", when i was a young teenager, and i was at
a glance convinced he was right.

So regarding the article (what worked was [1]), i _personally_
think yes, they should have access to libraries and such.
But for example Germany, we have millions of childs which live
in poverty -- really! -- and they get bad food, i hope the current
government pushes school canteens so that they get a good meal at
least once a day.  Now if you or some several many 100K income
Google analytic talks about school computers, sorry, but i get
sad.  This is a wide field.  But i personally would be happy if
such a kid learns to sink into a "good" book, and start living
within it, strengthening its phantasie and empathic senses, for
example.  A good thing needs time.  This is much better than that
short lived hopping over documents (of questionable quality) on
the internet.  This is my very personal opinion.  Another one is
that a child that can play for hours with a piece of wood, which
becomes many things in his mind, or maybe later even learns to
create something out of it, is much much better engaged then one
that plays a computer game.  Especially for young childs.  But
hey, you all do what you want anyway.  Maybe, at a later time, you
then come to the Solaris world.

I know people where the childs may not use computers, or only very
rarely.  I bet these kids will become engineers, or doctors, or
scientists.  No fast food in education.
  “Once it sinks its teeth into these kids, it’s really hard,”
Yes!

  [1] curl -O https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/style/digital-divide-screens-schools.html

--steffen