[ih] Memories of Flag Day?

Greg Skinner gregskinner0 at icloud.com
Wed Aug 9 16:37:22 PDT 2023

CMU CS General Bboard Contents from 25-Nov-82 to 31-Dec-82 (makes mention of the flag day)
Bboard Thread about Changing the Arpanet Protocol from NCP to TCP/IP

https://web.archive.org/web/20081218182638/http://research.microsoft.com:80/en-us/um/people/mbj/Smiley/Nov-Dec-82_BBoard_Contents.html
Bboard Thread about Changing the Arpanet Protocol from NCP to TCP/IP (culled from previous link)

https://web.archive.org/web/20081218175346/http://research.microsoft.com:80/en-us/um/people/mbj/Smiley/Arpanet_Protocol_Thread.html
The MIT BUG-ITS list from June 1979 to April 1983, including some discussion about the flag day
(JNC contributed to this list at times)

https://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/its-archives/blob/master/email/its.obugs0
its-archives/email/its.obugs0 at master · larsbrinkhoff/its-archives
github.com

I remember the flag day was discussed during MIT LCS meetings.  I wasn’t online for the actual cutover because I was on vacation with no network access, but I remember problems with the cutover being discussed during the first meeting of 1983 (4 January).  David Clark asked someone during the meeting if [s]he was able to get a message out.

—gregbo