[ih] more gopher baroque, "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Dec 7 10:50:42 PST 2022

IIRC, I didn't personally use gopher much, but I think it used
character-based interfaces (e.g., the "Press ? for Help, q to Quit, u to
go up a menuPage: 1/1" below.)

GUIs were becoming popular about that time, with "terminals" like SPARCs
and Macs providing GUIs, and desktop PCs and Macs becoming common for
non-techies.   Did the early web browsers (Mosaic etc.) run on PCs and
Macs?   I don't recall the timing, but one of the advantages that the
Web had might be the availability of the GUI instead of TTY-style
interactions - even if all the documents being handled were just text.

I recall that I demonstrated the Web in the early 90s to everyone I
could accost at Oracle, from the receptionist to the Chairman of the
Board.   They all "got it" and thought it was promising even if there
was little content online at the time.   Clicking on links was easy to
learn.  Adding links to text documents was also simple to do in your
favorite text editor.  Even simple formatting like headers, bold/italic,
etc.  I never even thought of demonstrating gopher - it was suited for
techies but not so much for normal people.

Jack Haverty