[ih] more gopher baroque, "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Dec 7 11:01:46 PST 2022

On 12/7/2022 10:50 AM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> I recall that I demonstrated the Web in the early 90s to everyone I
> could accost at Oracle, from the receptionist to the Chairman of the
> Board.   They all "got it" and thought it was promising even if there
> was little content online at the time.

In 1990, I did a half-day class about Internet tech, as part of a
week-long CMU class for some AT&T folk. I included a gopher demo, to get
some class participation, starting with a master page that listed areas
of the globe.

The class choices eventually got us down to Wellington, New Zealand.

Listed there was the Wellington Town Council and I saw an entry for the
Town Council minutes.  For the previous week.  Which we were looking at
from Pittsburgh.

That's the first time I finally understood what globalized use of the
net was going to look like.

d/

--
Dave Crocker