[ih] more gopher baroque, "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Dec 7 10:14:23 PST 2022

On 07/12/2022 05:14, John Levine via Internet-history wrote:
> Gopher was just a bunch of menus and the later Gopher+ had a way to
> say that the thing a menu entry pointed to was a picture or whatever.
> Recall that the early WWW only had text links. In-line images were
> Netscape's innovation.

Gopher was pretty easy to administer and did the job really well on a
low bandwidth.

For those who are nostalgic, here's a cut/paste from an old Gopher page
I did back in the day.

Internet Gopher Information Client 2.0 pl10

Directory Services

-->1.About This Directory.

2.College Telephone Book (text)/

3.Connect to X.500 Directory <TEL>

4.Electronic Yellow Pages (Experimental) <TEL>

5.Finger to X.500 Services <?>

6.International Dialling Codes.

7.Internet "white pages" directory facility (Netfind) [Experime.. <TEL>

8.People's Locator on other sites (X.500 gateway)/

9.Search College Telephone Book <?>

10. Top level mail domains.

11. UK STD codes (long - nearly 8000 lines).

12. UK STD codes (string search) <?>

13. X500 Data Summary.

14. X500 Great Britain DIT statistics.

Press ? for Help, q to Quit, u to go up a menuPage: 1/1

As for text only WWW, Lynx was the oldest, and still is the oldest text
browser. But inline images were already possible with NCSA Mosaic,
Netscape's ancestor. NCSA Mosaic was widely used. I also have screen
shots of a very early version of NCSA Mosaic but this mailing list does
not support attachments.
Kindest regards,

Olivier