[ih] more gopher baroque, "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Dec 7 08:16:52 PST 2022

At The Center for Civic Networking, circa 1992, the first batch of stuff
we put on the net was behind a gopher server.  Worked like a charm.

Miles Fidelman

John Levine via Internet-history wrote:
> It appears that Grant Taylor via Internet-history <internet-history at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net> said:
>> On 12/5/22 10:39 AM, Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote:
>>> Back then, Gopher was much easier to get a (text) page up and available.
>>> And there were lots of existing text documents.
>> I question the veracity of that.  But I have no first hand experience
>> hosting Gopher.
> >From personal experience I can confirm that it was true. What you
> could put on the page was quite limited, but even so at the time it
> was pretty exciting to put together a menu page that pointed to
> resources on six computers on three continents.
>
>>> The Web had a much richer presentation appearance but existing documents
>>> needed to be translated into html.
>> The number of PDFs, PS, JPG, GIF, et al. files that I've downloaded beg
>> to differ with the need to be translated into HTML.
> Gopher was just a bunch of menus and the later Gopher+ had a way to
> say that the thing a menu entry pointed to was a picture or whatever.
> Recall that the early WWW only had text links. In-line images were
> Netscape's innovation.
>
> R's,
> John

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown