[ih] more gopher baroque, "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

Grant Taylor internet-history at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Tue Dec 6 20:55:48 PST 2022

On 12/6/22 9:14 PM, John Levine via Internet-history wrote:
> From personal experience I can confirm that it was true. What you
> could put on the page was quite limited, but even so at the time
> it was pretty exciting to put together a menu page that pointed to
> resources on six computers on three continents.

I largely agree that was could be put on the page was limited.

I say largely because I still question the actual value of non-text on
pages today.

> Gopher was just a bunch of menus and the later Gopher+ had a way to
> say that the thing a menu entry pointed to was a picture or whatever.
> Recall that the early WWW only had text links. In-line images were
> Netscape's innovation.

Maybe the minimal experience I have as a user was with Gopher+.

I really thought that Gopher could point to an arbitrary file
independent of what it was.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Did Gopher+ allow you to point to an arbitrary file independent of what
it was?  Or was my minimal Gopher experience so divorced from reality as
to not be worth counting?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die