[ih] more gopher baroque, "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Dec 6 20:14:50 PST 2022

It appears that Grant Taylor via Internet-history <internet-history at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net> said:
>On 12/5/22 10:39 AM, Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote:
>> Back then, Gopher was much easier to get a (text) page up and available.
>> And there were lots of existing text documents.
>
>I question the veracity of that.  But I have no first hand experience
>hosting Gopher.

>From personal experience I can confirm that it was true. What you
could put on the page was quite limited, but even so at the time it
was pretty exciting to put together a menu page that pointed to
resources on six computers on three continents.

>> The Web had a much richer presentation appearance but existing documents
>> needed to be translated into html.
>
>The number of PDFs, PS, JPG, GIF, et al. files that I've downloaded beg
>to differ with the need to be translated into HTML.

Gopher was just a bunch of menus and the later Gopher+ had a way to
say that the thing a menu entry pointed to was a picture or whatever.
Recall that the early WWW only had text links. In-line images were
Netscape's innovation.

R's,
John