[ih] "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Sat Dec 3 13:47:29 PST 2022

On 2022-12-03, at 22:34, Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org> wrote:

> I just looked a bit at HTTP/3.  Read the Wikipedia entry which implies it's at a very early stage of deployment.

Uh, oh, it seems somebody didn’t do their Wikipedia homework (*).

HTTP/3 is completed:

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc9114.html

(And, yes, this is a “Proposed Standard”.  Which means it has received more quality control than most other standards in networking/IT space.  That label hurts.  Read [1] and weep.  “Less mature” __ ___.)

Grüße, Carsten

(*) Cleaning up Wikipedia articles is a regular assignment in our information security classes.
Wikipedia articles often get started in an early stage and have trouble absorbing the updating reality.
(The HTTP/3 article looked good to me on first glance.)

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Standard