[ih] QUIC, was "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Dec 3 15:53:35 PST 2022

According to Jack Haverty via Internet-history <jack at 3kitty.org>:
>Thanks, Carsten.  I agree there are exceptions.  Probably many of
>them.   I was just trying to point out a historical ongoing trend.
>
>I just looked a bit at HTTP/3.  Read the Wikipedia entry which implies
>it's at a very early stage of deployment.

The wikipedia article is fairly stale.  The IETF has published standards
track RFCs for QUIC and HTTP/3.  Chromium, which is the base for most
browsers other than Safari and Firefox, has supported it since about 2020.
Firefox support started in May 2021, Safari in October 2021.

It looks like every widely used web server other than Apache now supports
QUIC, as does Cloudflare's web proxy so I would guess that by now there
is as much QUIC and HTTP/3 as other kinds of web traffic.

QUIC took quite a while but the IETF process worked well, with multiple groups
implementing the drafts and providing feedback.