[ih] Where it All Started: Panel Discussion on the Birth of the European Internet [RIPE NCC - South East Europe 12 Meeting in Athens, Greece]

Matt Mathis matt.mathis at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 16:19:09 PDT 2024

I have a fun little  story about the EU conversion to IP that I heard at
IETF 26, April of 1993.  I think it was Milo speaking about how
US agencies were trying to coax their European counterparts to switch.  To
put this in perspective, this was before "On the Internet nobody knows
you're a dog".

Internet traffic growth everywhere was exponential, I think about 2x per
year at that time.   The US agencies and ISPs had plots to show the
Internet's  progress.  So did the European PPTs.    Pisst: all of the
exponential growth on  the PPTs was actually tunneled IP.... and that
insight was what broke the logjam: realizing that the killer app on their
own networks was actually the Internet and not any native protocols.

I have a hunch that conversation could be re-discovered and properly
archived.  It would be good if somebody closer to the story could provide
more details.

Thanks,
--MM--
Evil is defined by mortals who think they know "The Truth" and use force to
apply it to others.
Matt Mathis  (Email is best)
Home & mobile: 412-654-7529 please leave a message if you must call.

On Fri, Jun 14, 2024 at 2:57 PM Dave Crocker via Internet-history <