[ih] Politics behind the Internet

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 13:50:28 PDT 2024

On 23-Jul-24 05:38, Craig Partridge via Internet-history wrote:
> You may or may not remember Milo Medin (later of @Home) in his role pushing
> the NASA Science Internet.
>
> Quite the reverse of bureaucratic BS -- rather bureaucratic leverage.  My
> favorite one was c. 1990 -- Milo needed a single-mode fiber optic
> connection to carry data from NASA Ames up the peninsula to, I think,
> somewhere in Palo Alto.  Pac Bell's representatives didn't want to sell him
> one and made various comments about how T3 could meet his needs.  So Milo
> lost his patience and said something along the lines of "look, I'm the
> Federal government, and I can run my own fiber up the railroad tracks.  I'm
> giving you an opportunity to have me not do that".  PacBell caved quickly.

That is *so* Milo, made me smile.

In both DoE and NASA there were very strong DECnet communities that showed the
way to go. When those two user communities started migrating away from VAX/VMS
to Ultrix and other varieties of Unix, they created a strong pull for TCP/IP
support. At least in the DoE case, this pull was strongly coordinated with the
European (and increasingly Asian) pull from the high energy physics people.

This is how I ended up in meetings with Milo at places like Lawrence Livermore
and even NASA Goddard, iirc.

    Brian