[ih] greener underwater?

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Fri Sep 2 13:39:38 PDT 2022

touch at strayalpha.com wrote in
 <8B5EE7BF-9B4B-422C-97F0-BB071E5B9897 at strayalpha.com>:
 |> On Sep 2, 2022, at 11:44 AM, Dave Taht via Internet-history <internet-hi\
 |> story at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
 |>
 |> This piece on a company attempting to build data centers underwater
 |> went by today on multiple channels. I can't help but think this idea
 |> was long ago developed and deployed by certain governments long ago?
 |
 |“Green” IMO depends on:
 | - where the power comes from
 | - recyclability of the components (after EOL)

That is a good point!  'And wanting to note that at least for
Germanies poison, much is simply brought to Africa or India where
young people ("children", so to say) will break it up for us.  Or
simply throwing it into nature.  'Just today i read an excerpt of
a study that mentions many hundreds of illegal, unsecured deponies
in Germany (known to authorities), with an estimate of at least
~550 Mrd (Billions) costs for the public .. shall they be removed
(they are not).

(And i could have wrote the same, actually i am sure i _did_, by
the beginning of the 90s, but times are not right to complain on
the "slowness of democracies", i am afraid.  As sometimes they can
be fast, if it's easy, right.)

We are hoping for green hydrogen for long, it slowly starts to
happen.  America is in a fantastic position for this with
thousands of kilometres of ocean coast.  And southern state
sunshine.

 |I don’t think it matters all that much where the heat goes TO as much \
 |as how MUCH heat goes there…
 |(Yeah, there are kinder ways of dissipating heat than others, but that’s \
 |less “green” than “low environmental impact”, which aren’t always aligned).

And also it is not only climate change, but mass extinction.
Also because the resources are still taken from wherever and in
the cheapmost possible way.  Another race has started to
accommodate for battery components of electrical cars just
recently.  Massive (expensive, dirty) infrastructural changes
accompany.

And, sorry, by the beginning of the thread i was shortly
pessimized because of a complain on a few watts (which add up
quite a bit when they occur in hundreds of thousands of boxes,
granted), when in the same context a person flew from Germany
(likely Frankfurt or Munich) to Philadelphia, and back, for a four
day meeting.  I live thirty kilometres away from Frankfurt/Main
Airport, the sky is so bright most of the time (except in dry air
weather conditions), you mostly cannot see it!

Linux in the meantime, and finally, is doing something for power
savings.  Even though empowered by billions of dollars of major
companies since about twenty years ago (i think), this was not
a real concern since maybe four or five years ago (?).
Different to Apple and likely also Microsoft, where operating
systems had the low level thus likely in-kernel strategies for
fine granularity of power savings.  (At least in their mobile
devices variant.)

It always made and makes me wonder, because the involved people
are almost all academics, and even fifty years ago the wise ones
did interpolate what will happen if we continue like this (the
"limits to growth" i think in english that i always mention), but
still it is getting worse year by year, so much is plain.
And it does not make sense to point fingers, it mostly never did.
We change or the children will suffer.  Three generations like
a biblical plague, is it.

P.S.: satellites there are too many, and of course you _could_
countermeasure them if you want, by spreading the heated water
over kilometres.  And/or going deeper.

P.P.S.: i hope they do the spread anyway, since you massively
change life conditions near that thing otherwise.

P.P.P.S.: i hope we get strict political guidelines regarding all
that, with a shortest possible intermediate time, you know most of
the things done now run for multiple decades, it's a shame.
There must be a prioritization, it should have happened for long.

P.P.P.P.S.: i do not use crypto money nor netflix, too.
But like in the famous ~1939 German Song "Nur nicht aus Liebe
weinen" ("Just don't cry for Love", hmm, "Anything, but not crying
because of Love") by Zarah Leander, "Wir werden vom Schicksal
getrieben, und das Ende ist immer Verzicht", "We are driven by
fate and the end is always renunciation [sacrifice]".

--steffen