[ih] Chat room and forum archives

Haudy Kazemi kaze0010 at umn.edu
Thu Sep 1 15:01:14 PDT 2022

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022, 13:51 Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond via Internet-history <

> On 01/09/2022 18:41, Bob Purvy wrote:
> > I think by the 90s he's on a PC, but I haven't really said anywhere.
> > Definitely he's gotta try those AOL coasters.
>
> Remember it was floppy 3 1/2 in disks first which were terrible as
> coasters, only to become more useful when they switched to CDs. That
> being said I really hope these ended up somehow elsewhere than in a
> landfill as so many were produced - see
>
> https://nowiknow.com/remember-all-those-aol-cds-there-were-more-than-you-think/

Free AOL 3.5" floppies were a great.

One could request floppies, and then reformat them, and either carefully
remove the label or apply a new label directly over the old. Kind of like
free USB flash drives in more recent years.

The CDs were comparatively mostly useless (though people did come up with
some ideas for ways to reuse small numbers of them).