[ih] History of duplicate address tests

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Nov 30 09:21:33 PST 2022

    > From: John Kristoff

    > I had thought of ARP, but wasn't it's use for duplicate address
    > detection essentially a "hack" that came later?

Absolutely. Having been a co-designer of ARP, I can assure you that
such a use was not in the minds of Dave Plummer nor I.

    > From: John Gilmore

    > Were there any duplicate address detection methods used in the
    > 3-megabit Experimental Ethernet?

No. We had our hands full merely getting stuff to work; protecting
bozos from themselves was an un-affordable luxury.

I'm not sure people really grasp how under-resourced the internetting project
was back then. A lot of things we _should_ have done only got done later
(e.g. dynamic host configuration), or not at all. The hordes (how appropriate
a word) of programmers who are busy writing networking code these days were
beyond envisioning.

	Noel