[ih] pretty good video on internet history

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Nov 3 16:09:57 PDT 2022

On 11/3/2022 12:45 PM, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:
> But additionally to what the video said, the *reason*
> TimBL could invent the web was because we more or less abandoned
> OSI (except for DECnet) during 1989 and started supporting
> TCP/IP.

While I was at Wollongong, where 20% of our revenue was from Europe,
where OSI supposedly dominated, one of my customers was the head of IT
at ISO...

Chatting with him one day, I asked whether he caught much grief from his
organization about his using technology that could be viewed as disloyal.

As operations folk often are, he immediately and firmly assured me that
his bosses got to tell his what capabilities they needed him to provide,
but they didn't get to tell him how to do it, and he had an obligation
to provide a service that worked.

d/

--
Dave Crocker