[ih] pretty good video on internet history

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Wed Nov 2 11:37:51 PDT 2022

Complete side comment.  Every time people mention SATNET I'm reminded of
when I used SATNET as a delay line to debug TCP and RDP implementations on
weekends c. 1985.  I had developed a testing tool that tracked connection
states and displayed them in real-time (on a SUN workstation) and the
round-trip delay to GOONHILLY-ECHO (an IP echo server) was perfect -- I
could literally watch the effect of each packet as it arrived.  (That was
how I figured out issues in TCP round-trip estimation and also the benefits
of extended acknowledgements).

Then I made the mistake of mentioning I was doing this to a senior UCL
person, who chewed me out for using, in his words, "one of the most heavily
used links in the Internet" for testing purposes. :-)

Craig

On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 12:32 PM vinton cerf via Internet-history <

> you are right, dave. The US/UK (UCL connection) was first operational use
> of tcp/ip since they went via satnet in 1982 while the rest of the net went
> in 1983.

> On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 2:29 PM Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:
>
> > On 11/2/2022 9:45 AM, the keyboard of geoff goodfellow via
> > Internet-history wrote:
> > > "...…so they established what became known as Flag Day on the 1st of
> > > January 1983 where the entire of ARPANET would have to switch from
> using
> > > the old 1822 protocol to TCP/IP…" ¿¿¿
> >
> > A mere off-by-one error.  In this case, one layer for the old.
> >
> > And since I'm posting...
> >
> > I thought Arpanet / Packet Net / Satnet was the first demonstrating of
> > actual internetworking with TCP/IP.  The video cites US/England as the
> > first.
> >
> > d/
> >

> > ps. We are in End Times.  It just started raining here, for the second
> > day in a row.
> >

> > --
> > Dave Crocker
> > Brandenburg InternetWorking
> > bbiw.net

*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and