[ih] pretty good video on internet history

Andrew G. Malis agmalis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 11:29:06 PDT 2022

Geoff,

I ran the "flag day" transition on Jan. 1 in the BBN NOC. From a
layperson's perspective, the phrase you quoted is just fine. It would have
been a bit more accurate if they said "the old ARPANET host-host protocol"
rather than "the old 1822 protocol".

What actually happened was to prepare for the flag day, we added a new bit
to each host's configuration in the IMPs. The bit said whether or not a
host was allowed to use the host-host protocol. If the bit was off, then
host-host packets were discarded by the IMPs. Most of those bits got
flipped from "on" to "off" on January 1, but we did start the year with a
list of exceptions that had been previously approved by the ARPANET
management, and more exceptions were approved as the phone calls started
coming in. As hosts got their TCP/IP stacks working, their host-host
protocol permission was turned off.

Cheers,
Andy