[ih] David C. Walden

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Tue May 3 16:58:02 PDT 2022

Date:        	Tue, 3 May 2022 16:26:20 -0700
To:          	internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Subject:     	Re: [ih] David C. Walden
From:        	Jack Haverty via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org>
Reply to:    	Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org>
Sender:      	"Internet-history" <internet-history-bounces at elists.isoc.org>

> Dave's obituary is at:
>
> https://www.olsonparent.com/obituary/David-Walden
>
> In addition to everything else, Dave was one of the original ARPANET
> implementation team.  He actually "wrote the code" to create the net.

I joined the IMP project of Jan 1969 -- Dave and Will had started on the IMP
proposal in the fall of '68.  I was tied up on another project and joined when the
contract was actually awarded -- in Jan.  Dave and Will had been working on
chunks of the IMP code with paper tape -- I have no idea how they were editing
the tapes nor how it worked.  I do know that they almost *never* reassembled
any of the code {because it was real hard :o)} and so Will had a big notebook with
the official "patch log".   I was responsible for the timesharing system on our
PDP-1 [part of the Hospital Computer Project, and it stayed at BBN when the
project ended] and I was anal about having correct listings.   There was a
potential serious clash of cultures when i joined.  I discovered, to my pleasant
surprise, that Dave didn't like all the paper tape stuff much either.  And so we
hatched a plan.  We *knew* that Frank [Heart] and Will would _never_ have
OK'ed our messing with how the IMP was coded and assembled.

So.. dave and I just _did_it_ [you know the old saw about forgiveness vs
permission :o)].  We started on one Friday late afternoon and began "porting" -- I
had cobbled up a cross-assembler on the PDP-1 that could punch out an
H516-loadable paper tape, and we copied all the paper tapes over to the PDP-1
and edited the cumulative patches into the PDP-1 source files.  Then we tried to
make it all work [I vaguely remember that it took a few iterations for the two of
us to get it actually loadable and working].... BUT... Dave and I worked well
together and we pulled it all off -- when the folks came in on Monday morning
there was a fresh, new system with a full correct listing waiting.   I never learned
what Will thought about that -- I think he just took it as a fait accompli.  I know
that Frank never said a word to us about it.   Dave and I stayed close friends
throughout my tenure at BBN.   He was my longest time colleague and best
friend at BBN.

  /Bernie\

                 Bernie Cosell
         bernie at fantasyfarm.com