[ih] SMTP History

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Mar 28 15:01:04 PDT 2022

The RFCs, IMHO, are useful but only as an imperfect historical record.
At the time, RFCs, despite their name as "request for comments",  were
often released well after implementation of whatever they documented,
when someone (often Jon Postel) took the initiative to write down what
had happened.

So, with something like FTP, despite what the "official spec" might have
said in some RFC at the time, it was easy for an actual developer to add
new functionality and try it out, possibly collaborating with others.
Adding a MAIL command would have been easy for any FTP developer, and
invisible to other FTPs who hadn't ever heard of it.   Such things were
expected as a vital aspect of research.   Ray's introduction of @ on
TENEX propagated quickly since there were numerous TENEX machines on the
net at the time.

I don't remember who first added the MAIL command to an FTP
implementation (might have been Abhay...?), or how its use propagated
throughout the ARPANET community as other developers added it to their
FTP software.  It was easy, and common, for developers to see someone
else's idea and simply adopt it, well before it appeared in any RFC.

I do remember that I first used, and insisted on including, the
"Message-ID" header field as a way of making it possible for a computer
program to distinguish specific messages, so that, for example, they
could be linked together into conversations.  But most details of the
SMTP and headers just sort of appeared over time and if people found
them useful, they got more widely implemented.   I have no recollection
of where they started.

Eventually an innovation could become popular enough that it became
effectively "standard".   It might only be after that occurred that it
actually appeared captured in an RFC.   Rough consensus and running code
came first.   Documentation later.

I wrote RFC722 in an attempt to document some of the issues and
principles involved in that kind of evolutionary development of network
mechanisms.  Never got many comments thought to that RFC.

IMHO, the email records such as Noel captured are likely a more
accurate, but still incomplete, historical record.   But there were lots
of such email interactions not using email lists, or even, gasp, by
telephone or in-person discussions, probably now lost, that reflect the
actual history of what happened when and who did it.

That's why I try to write down just what I personally remember.   My own
"mail archives" were lost long ago, when my Dectapes turned into
magnetic dust.

Jack