[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sun Mar 27 12:50:31 PDT 2022

I remember reading this historical perspective and it was pretty accurate.

I could add a couple of first hand experiences with France Telecom,
Minitel, Transpac and VTCOM.

In 1997 I had a meeting with top level executives of France Telecom,
Transpac and VTCOM, discussing an Internet project. All the way then,
the suited people I had in front of me, then a young postgraduate, were
obviously very proud of the Minitel's success. I would say, too proud,
to the extent that they were completely blinded by it - and as a
Frenchman, I can say that it's sometimes a trait that we have in France
- national pride, for better or for worse.

In this case, it was for worse. I told them the Minitel was on life
support, based on a technology that was developed in the 70s. I knew
everything about its limitations, including its intended evolution
through Broadband ISDN - B-ISDN, which was also going to be a non
starter due to its lack of flexibility and top down control. But that
fell on deaf ears: Transpac was France's National Pride, a stable
network running on X.25. VTCOM was the main supplier/controller of
content - serving millions of paying customers. Why would they need to
look at anything else than their pride and joy? I told them Transpac was
on its last legs due to its inability to support faster transfer speeds.
And top down control of all content was not scalable. The Internet was
the future. A decentralised network where everyone could produce
content. The laughter around the room was not hidden. "With the Minitel
we make a lot of money because people pay for their services. How is
your... Internet ever going to make money, when its services are free?
Nobody has ever made any money giving things away for free. You are
living in a dream world. An anglo saxon dream world. Not everyone speaks
English, you know?"
After an hour and fifteen minutes, I was promptly kicked out of their
office. They weren't disrespectful, but didn't hide the fact that they
had a strategy and it definitely wasn't mine.
I won't share the names, but these were added to a long long list of
people suffering the Peter principle that I have met in my life.

Kindest regards,

Olivier
(with apologies for answering an old thread - I have been very busy am
just catching up)

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html