[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Ole Jacobsen olejacobsen at me.com
Sun Mar 20 09:53:41 PDT 2022

For some historical perspective: In 1994 we published an article about Minitel
in ConneXions--The Interoperability Report. It's the first article in the April
issue. The entire archive of ConneXions is available from the Charles Babbage
Institute, but for easy access to this particular issue I've uploaded a copy
to my directory on Yikes.

See:

https://www.yikes.com/~ole/store/ConneXions8-04_Apr1994.pdf <https://www.yikes.com/~ole/store/ConneXions8-04_Apr1994.pdf>

Ole

> On Mar 20, 2022, at 09:45, Bob Purvy via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> Well, don't people in France ever want to look up numbers in Germany,
> England, and Italy?
>
> Also, there were lots of other apps on top of Minitel, including a dating
> service! It did replace calls for directory assistance, but then people
> discovered it could do a lot of other things, too.
>
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 9:41 AM John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>
>> It appears that Bob Purvy via Internet-history <bpurvy at gmail.com> said:
>>> One still wonders why the other European PTTs didn't do their own and
>>> interoperate with Minitel. Too much NIH?
>>
>> Remember that the business case for Minitel was that it would replace
>> paper phone books and directory assistance operators.  Everything else
>> was an add-on.  You didn't need to interoperate to do that.
>>
>> R's,
>> John

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher