[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sat Mar 26 13:21:30 PDT 2022

On 3/26/22 11:43 AM, Bob Purvy via Internet-history wrote:
> Don't come at me for Open View! It was one of those products that they'd
> buy and keep by the door so the VP would see it, while the real operators
> continued using ping and traceroute to do their work.

Down the road a bit, at Sun, Bob Page and I were trying to turn Sun
Network Manager into something more useful, using things like my "area
manager" concept.  But we kinda got distracted and instead started to
build a low earth orbit data network using Russian satellites (sent up
on Russian rockets) - we had exactly one known user: Steve Roberts who
had his Sparcstation equipped bicycle.  I am probably one of the few
people who use the phrase "solar blanking" in networking conversations
(I had previously worked with geo-sync satellites where that was a very
serious issue.)

         --karl--