[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 18:51:39 PDT 2022

It wasn't just NASA and it certainly wasn't just Ames. ESA (the European Space Agency) also planned to migrate to Phase V, and so did the intercontinental High Energy Physics DECnet, which interworked with the space science DECnet. Denise Heagerty was in charge of that for CERN. Phase V worked (from some time in 1993, I think) but it didn't last and the physics DECnet died by about 1998 as the physicists switched to *ix and TCP/IP (and, of course, DEC vanished).

See page 11 at https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nssdc_news/nssdc_news_06_02.pdf/ . I would have thought Milo Medin was at that meeting, so maybe he skipped the photo. The day after that meeting**, I met with Steve Goldstein at NSF HQ to discuss boosting transatlantic IP connectivity.

In my book I wrote: "The end of that story is a sad one: we just about got the high-energy physics DECnets converted to Phase V when it was time to switch them off, since everyone had started using TCP/IP instead."

[If anybody cares about details contact me off list. But I'll have to ask
Denise.]

The main upside of moving to Phase V was that it got rid of "hidden areas" which was DECnet Phase IV's hack for running out of address space. (That was the main source of my unconditional hatred of NAT.)

At the same time, we were telling DEC they needed to get the DECnet upper
layers running over TCP/IP, but that was a hard message to get across. However, HP to this day has a support page entitled "DECnet/OSI - Configuring a Node to Use DECnet/OSI Over TCP/IP". It cites RFC 1006 (a.k.a. STD 35).

Regards
    Brian Carpenter

** Utterly irrelevant: The Hubble telescope had been launched a couple of
weeks earlier, and its defective mirror was in the process of being discovered right then. Our hosts wanted to show us the Hubble control room at Goddard, but it was all closed up with the curtains drawn across the viewing windows. They were very puzzled; the defect wasn't announced in public until three weeks later.