[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sun Mar 20 11:18:39 PDT 2022

My recollection is from 1990-1991.   I had joined Oracle as "Internet
Architect".  Our networking technology was very explicitly agnostic - we
supported all kinds of network infrastructure, and even provided for
interconnecting disparate worlds.  So if your engineering department
used TCP, your marketing folks required Macs and Appletalk, your
mainframes were SNA, and your administrative groups used PCs with
Netware, everyone could still get at all all their business data, no
matter what kind of server it lived on, or what kind of networks were
involved.   Even OSI, where you could find it.

We had a group of customers that visited HQ every few months, called
IIRC the "Customer Council".  Mostly they discussed database issues and
ideas, but occasionally they wanted to talk about Networking, so I got
called into the meeting.   The attendees were all high-level business
managers - CEO, COO, CTO, et al.   The companies involved were all
technology users, not vendors, and were international. E.g., from
banking, insurance, retail, shipping, manufacturing, etc., based in the
Americas, Europe, Asia, etc.  Even a government or two IIRC.  It was a
very diverse group and very open since they didn't see each other as
competitors.   Their challenge was to figure out how to *use* networking
technology to further their business goals.

At one of the meetings, I did a quick survey around the room, asking
each person to describe their current network operations.  The answers
were unsurprising.  There were SNA shops of course, plus DECNET, Apple,
Netware, Vines, and such all in use.  Whatever the dominant networking
was, they all had some other technologies that had unexpectedly
penetrated into their IT worlds, even including TCP.

Then I did another round of the room, asking everyone what their plans
were.   I.e., what were they trying to work toward as their future
networking structure?

I was shocked to hear the answers.   Every single person, from every
company, from every segment of industry, from every continent, said the
same thing.

They were all heading to a TCP-based network architecture.   As fast as
possible.

OSI was not even mentioned.   All of them had some kind of experiment
going on, introducing TCP into some part of their business.  After
learning how to use it, they planned, and hoped, to migrate everything
to TCP, assuming of course that their experiments all worked out well.
Note that converting to TCP did not mean moving on to The Internet; each
corporation would instead have its own private TCP-based intranet.

At that point, I stopped talking about our technology as a way for
diverse protocols to coexist.   But it was still a good mechanism to
facilitate a transition to TCP, maintaining access to a corporations
business data as they proceded to migrate their networking
infrastructure.   Our networking became a transition tool, rather than
one to enable coexistence.

I made one last survey around the room, basically asking why each
organization had chosen TCP as their target infrastructure.  Some of the
reasons were as others here have mentioned.   TCP "just worked", and
their experiments were confirming that.  They could also buy TCP-based
products, especially LANs, workstations, and PCs.  All had TCP
available; in fact at that point there were more than 30 implementations
of TCP available for Windows from all sorts of startups.

But there was one reason which seemed to be especially important. Their
IT departments were highly dependent on a constant stream of new
engineers to get all the new stuff to work.  Colleges and universities
around the world were producing a steady stream of computer people to
supply that talent.  Pretty much all of those people came out of school
with a degree of course, but also a working knowledge of TCP.  They had
built things in school, using TCP.  They had read the RFCs and IENs.
They knew how to make it work.  But they had never had such access to
SNA, or DECNET, or certainly OSI.   Such things just weren't common in
the academic environment.

So a major driving force for TCP adoption was not only the availability
of products that implemented TCP, but also the "supply chain" of people
who knew how to use TCP in real world applications.

This all occurred in 1990-91 -- just before Tim Berners-Lee released the
World Wide Web on the world.  When that happened a few years later, and
was based on TCP, it sealed the dominance of TCP.   The Web provided a
way for all those corporations to interact with their customers and
suppliers, as well as all their internal departments.   But it required
a TCP infrastructure.   They hadn't built it to use OSI or anything else.

Jack