[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Michael Grant mgrant at grant.org
Fri Mar 18 14:45:58 PDT 2022

I was that guy along with Andrew Partan who worked for COS who got COS on the internet, well, what became the Internet.  We simply couldn’t do anything without being connected to the net.  Nothing happened over X.400 and no files were ever transferred over FTAM.  We had Suns on our desks, Sun servers in the computer room which I helped run, and were connected to Uunet via a telebit modem.  Prior to that, we had UUCP dialup to Uunet.  I remember very distinctly that the members of the consortium asked us to use the OSI protocols for our own stuff but we basically ignored them.  In fact, even internally at COS there was a Wang system and the Suns and we couldn’t even connect their email systems together.  About the closest we could come was we played with Marshall Rose’s ISODE.  Honestly, there wasn’t even a single way to get a fully connected network when some computers were running TP0, others TP4 and no way to interconnect!  And there wasn’t a single router that routed CLNP.  Did one ever exist?  There were serious fundamental problems with OSI.

I got hired away by Sun from COS when it imploded and eventually worked with the OSI team in France which eventually pivoted to LDAP.  Sun’s OSI product was not written at Sun.  I don’t recall the vender, they were French.  It was taken in house and essentially ported to SunOS.  It was pretty robust for what it was but quite over complicated and very difficult to debug.  It was never really fully integrated into SunOS, and then we kind of silently stopped supporting it.  If I recall correctly, there was only FTAM, X.400, and maybe X.500.  I don’t really recall the network stack below these application layers but I know they were there because I had tested them at COS.

About the biggest interoperability that I ever saw was this trade show which we called The Event in Baltimore around 1990 which COS had a booth demonstrating about a dozen vendors able to transfer files and send mail to one another.  It was a mini Interop.  Took a couple years to actually put together and was good fun.  After that things seemed to fall apart.  Bill, you and I must have interacted back then.

It was “strategic” in that it checked some box for some gov’t contracts which nobody ever intended on using.