[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Fri Mar 18 11:21:03 PDT 2022

On 3/18/2022 11:11 AM, Bill Ricker via Internet-history wrote:
> So anyone doing*Information Technology*  with a limited budget and tight
> schedule (i.e., without a procurement project manager, procurement budget,
> and lengthy government procurement schedule), would just order COTS and
> justify it as COTS

In the latter 1980s, I was managing a small engineering team, at a
company doing after-market network stacks.  We had TCP/IP, of course,
but we also developed some OSI stacks, to the extent the standards allowed.

A couple of distinctive moments:

1. Predictably, Europe was the hotbed of ISO advocacy, yet it was quite
a major source to our TCP/IP revenue.  In fact, one of our customers was
the IT department at ISO...  I chatted with the manager in charge and
asked him whether he got any flack for using TCP/IP.  Being an
operations guy, his response was direct and curt.  He said he was given
an operational requirement and he met it with the best available solution.

2. We started considering development of transition tools, to move from
TCP/IP to OSI.  We started querying existing customer, and they gave us
an overwhelmingly consistent response:  They /did/ want transition
tools.  To go from OSI to TCP/IP...

d/

--
Dave Crocker