[ih] Preparing for the splinternet

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Tue Mar 15 08:01:07 PDT 2022

Its not only the federation abilities that we loose by moving away from Usenet to the million
of siloed "forums" on the Internet. It is not even clear to me how important the federation
character is for most forums. But what is IMHO even more important for the end-user is the loss
of freedom of user experience (through NNTP).

The same (loss of freedom of user experience) is true for any type of video streaming compared to prior
analog/digital TV experiences, where every vendor of end-user equipment could build a customized
user-experience. And make that end-user-experience be the aggregator.

Of course, end-users are feeling that missing customized/aggregated experience the more streaming
services are offered and/or subscribed, but they seemingly are not in a position of enough power to
change that fundamentally - primarily because the platforms are making it hard if not impossible for
third-parties to to do such aggregation.

In one recent instances, TiVo tried to provide such an aggregated experience on the Android platform,
just to bail out, when Google announced that they too want to do it, further monopolizing the platform
at all stages end-to-end.

Lets see if regulators will wake up one day to this vertical monopolization and break it apart,
like arguably they at least tried with OS/browser.

*sigh*

Toerless