[ih] legal models [was: there must be a corollary to Godwin's law about Sec 230, was ARPANET pioneer]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 20:07:47 PST 2022

On 07-Mar-22 16:44, John R. Levine wrote:
>>> in other jurisdictions, such as those based on Napoleonic law, this is
>> less clear
>>
>> The mind boggles. I don't know what the US could do except ignore it.
>> Getting ONE legal system to work is hard enough.
>
> Just looking at anglophone common law countries, here in the US we have
> fights over Sec 230.  Australia has a newish law that lets the Murdoch
> owned newspapers shake down Google and Facebook.  The Canadian government
> nearly passed bill C-10 which would have regulated the Internet like radio
> and TV and may try to pass it again.  (If that makes no sense, you
> understand correctly.)  And the UK is in another round of trying to outlaw
> strong encryption with the usual fearmongering.
>
> So I would prefer that we screw up or unscrew one country at a time.

Well yes. I wasn't suggesting that One Law to Rule Them All was an
option; just pointing out that local laws often have effects far beyond
their apparent jurisdiction.

My opinions of the so-called Internet Governance Forum are close
to unprintable and generally involve unprofessional language.

    Brian