[ih] legal models [was: there must be a corollary to Godwin's law about Sec 230, was ARPANET pioneer]

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Mar 6 19:44:39 PST 2022

>> in other jurisdictions, such as those based on Napoleonic law, this is
> less clear
>
> The mind boggles. I don't know what the US could do except ignore it.
> Getting ONE legal system to work is hard enough.

Just looking at anglophone common law countries, here in the US we have
fights over Sec 230.  Australia has a newish law that lets the Murdoch
owned newspapers shake down Google and Facebook.  The Canadian government
nearly passed bill C-10 which would have regulated the Internet like radio
and TV and may try to pass it again.  (If that makes no sense, you
understand correctly.)  And the UK is in another round of trying to outlaw
strong encryption with the usual fearmongering.

So I would prefer that we screw up or unscrew one country at a time.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl at taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",