[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 20:17:38 PST 2022

On 04-Mar-22 15:15, Louis Mamakos via Internet-history wrote:
> How much simultaneous multicast traffic do you think there could be
> over wide-area transit networks and across transit providers?
>
> And that ship has sailed.  CDNs solve this problem now, for both
> live and near-live content as well as delayed and on-demand content.
> You don't need to augment your router with PIM-SM or some other
> multicast routing protocol, or figure out how to make interdomain
> routing work.  That's a lot of work for solving the general case
> of multicast IP across the global internet, to displace the CDN-based
> solution that already works and solves the higher-volume adjacent
> problem space.  Application-layer multicast is mature and works
> really well and can evolve without having to go in lock-step with
> all of the intra- and inter-domain L3 routing/forwarding hardware
> that's deployed.
>
> I think one popular multicast solution was in last-mile CATV networks
> to do delivery of video streams.  But from a user-experience
> perspective, you've got join latencies that compete with another
> HTTP unicast request and I can't pause my TV program to hit the
> bathroom.  It's cheaper to have the extra bandwidth than adding
> storage capacity in, e.g., set-top boxes for local caching and
> asynchronous delivery.
>
> I think that IP multicast is really neat tech, and I tried to make
> a commercial success of service offering, but in the general case
> I couldn't get (enough) customers at the time to want to pay for
> the capability to support the infrastructure costs, not to mention
> the operational complexity.
>
> And then you open a can of worms on what settlement-free peering is
> supposed to look like for multicast traffic.  With unicast traffic
> crossing a peering interconnect, you didn't have to think real hard
> about equal costs/equal burden sort of issues.  It wasn't obvious
> at that time what that would mean for multicast traffic.

Actually, I think it's fairly obvious: you'd need traffic metering
and settlements. Nobody wanted that. Apart from anything else
it raised anti-trust concerns because people would have to talk
about pricing.

That's exactly why the following draft never got a -01 version:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-carpenter-metrics-00
The ISPs wouldn't touch it. (And I didn't even mention multicast.)
My memory tells me that John Curran and Mike O'Dell took me out
for lunch (most likely at IETF 96 in Montreal) to explain the facts
of life to me in simple words.

    Brian