[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Thu Mar 3 18:15:08 PST 2022

How much simultaneous multicast traffic do you think there could be
over wide-area transit networks and across transit providers?

And that ship has sailed.  CDNs solve this problem now, for both
live and near-live content as well as delayed and on-demand content.
You don't need to augment your router with PIM-SM or some other
multicast routing protocol, or figure out how to make interdomain
routing work.  That's a lot of work for solving the general case
of multicast IP across the global internet, to displace the CDN-based
solution that already works and solves the higher-volume adjacent
problem space.  Application-layer multicast is mature and works
really well and can evolve without having to go in lock-step with
all of the intra- and inter-domain L3 routing/forwarding hardware
that's deployed.

I think one popular multicast solution was in last-mile CATV networks
to do delivery of video streams.  But from a user-experience
perspective, you've got join latencies that compete with another
HTTP unicast request and I can't pause my TV program to hit the
bathroom.  It's cheaper to have the extra bandwidth than adding
storage capacity in, e.g., set-top boxes for local caching and
asynchronous delivery.

I think that IP multicast is really neat tech, and I tried to make
a commercial success of service offering, but in the general case
I couldn't get (enough) customers at the time to want to pay for
the capability to support the infrastructure costs, not to mention
the operational complexity.

And then you open a can of worms on what settlement-free peering is
supposed to look like for multicast traffic.  With unicast traffic
crossing a peering interconnect, you didn't have to think real hard
about equal costs/equal burden sort of issues.  It wasn't obvious
at that time what that would mean for multicast traffic.

Louis Mamakos