[ih] Separation of TCP and IP

Grant Taylor internet-history at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Thu Jun 23 22:02:21 PDT 2022

On 6/23/22 10:52 PM, Toerless Eckert via Internet-history wrote:
> Well, the contributors who wanted fast and wide spread of their
> transport work certainly choose the "over UDP" route instead of other
> routes. The next best thing i remember is LD_PRELOAD solutions, but
> those overloaded TCP sockets without actually doing TCP stacks. So
> i am not aware of recent RAW socket TCP stacks. Happy to learn what
> you remember/know!

I think that I've read public accounts of CloudFlare and / or Netflix
doing user space TCP/IP stacks.

Sorry, I'm not at liberty to discuss what my $EMPLOYER does.

> We have multiple decades of managing network traffic based on 5-tuple
> with well-known port numbres. This has eroded in the past decade for
> Internet traffic due to end-to-end encryption and will erode even
> more due to QUIC.

I've long been a fan of discrete ports for things and not shoving
everything over -- what I'll call -- bearer protocols; e.g. HTTP(S) / QUIC.

Maybe it's my preference for the esoteric, but I'm actually quite happy
with IPsec transport mode mesh between my servers.

> There where a few drafts pointing out the issues that are yet to come
> with QUIC proliferation.  If we would not have had this history, but
> one where like we will get it with QUIC now there are only meaningless
> UDP port numbers and no other visibility, then i wouldn't even dare
> to predict how a lot of the stuff we did with those 5 tuples would
> have evolved over the decades.

I think we're about to enter a time when the only way to viably do
anything is to actively monkey in the middle traffic so that we have
application layer visibility into the data streams.

> Granted, we could probably had it half way, so i was justing about
> the extreme case.

ACK

--
Grant. . . .