[ih] WEB5: AN EXTRA DECENTRALIZED WEB PLATFORM

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Mon Jun 13 10:01:51 PDT 2022

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow via Internet-history wrote:
> *Building an extra decentralized web that puts you in control of your data
> and identity*
>
> The web democratized the exchange of information, but it's missing a key
> layer: identity. We struggle to secure personal data with hundreds of
> accounts and passwords we can’t remember. On the web today, identity and
> personal data have become the property of third parties.
>
> Web5 brings decentralized identity and data storage to your applications.
> It lets devs focus on creating delightful user experiences, while returning
> ownership of data and identity to individuals.
>
> [Web2] and [Web3] => [Web5]
>
> https://developer.tbd.website/projects/web5/

So maybe this we should just skip all the intermediate steps and go
right to one big cloud of URLs, Processes, and Files.  "The Network is
the Computer" and all that.

-------
Distributed, Replicated Files as the bottom layer - IPFS kind of meets
the bill
- Add some kind of DCVS - Git, WebDAV, DIS, HLA, XMPP

Universal Messaging - Unicast, Group, Broadcast - IP, XMPP, NNTP, AQMP,
Link16, take us in the right direction

Universal Real-Time Connectivity - DDS, SIP/H.323 for establishing
real-time associations

Erlang-Style Actors, Mobile Agents

A local environment that looks like HyperCard (stacks of cards - each
stack a namespace, each card a bundle of data & processes - i.e., files
& actors) [Or Smalltalk, or OpenDoc, or Apollo Domain, or a Lisp Machine]
---------

Or... maybe we just all adopt Plan9, and move on to doing useful things
with it.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown