[ih] misc questions about 1970s/1980s contracts and funding

touch at strayalpha.com touch at strayalpha.com
Wed Feb 2 21:15:06 PST 2022

Speaking from experience as an NSF/DARPA/etc PI:

For all the questions, notably #11: A lot of what you’re asking covered by government contract and procurement rules. This is a specialized area of business operations and law, often coordinated by contract managers at organizations that submit proposals to these gov't entities. Business schools offer classes and there are books in this area, but a lot of what you need to know is buried in government regulations that are specific to each organization or government-wide (e.g., the Federal Acquisition Rules, or FAR).

For questions #7-10: Proposals are not publicly available, nor are contracts; they are typically considered “proprietary”. Research results and some reports may be publicly available, e.g., via DTIC or the funding agency’s site, or may be published in journals, conference proceedings, etc. that are open to the public (but may involve access fees).

For question #4:" DTIC Selected" means that the results or data of a project have been selected for DTIC archive, either as offered in the original project proposal or by request of the project manager or PI.

Joe

—
Joe Touch, temporal epistemologist
www.strayalpha.com