[ih] misc questions about 1970s/1980s contracts and funding

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Wed Feb 2 16:29:51 PST 2022

I can answer one or two of your questions.

N00039-82-C-0235 designates a contract (C) written by one of the U.S. Navy
contracting offices (N00039) in fiscal year 1982 (1 Oct 1981 to 30 Sept
1982).  0235 is the sequence number.  They start fresh each year.  I think
N00039 is the Naval Information Warfare Systems Command.

I have no idea what K would mean instead of C.  I've seen Q for requests
for quotations and G for grants.  (Apparently G is used for something else
these days or maybe it's a broader catch-all.)

DARPA, originally called ARPA, is the Defense Advanced Research Projects
Agency.  It funds research.  When ARPA was created, it was given authority
to spend money and initiate research, but the agency did not have a
contracting office.  This was a feature, not a bug.  Instead, it was given
authority to use any of the contracting offices in other agencies
throughout the government.

To initiate (or extend) funding of a research activity, DARPA sends money
to the agency that will write the contract.  It uses a document unique to
DARPA to forward the funds and specify who will be doing the research.  The
document is called an ARPA Order.  These have short numbers with no
substructure.  (Or, at least they did when I worked there many years ago.)

It is entirely possible for a single ARPA Order to cause the creation of
multiple contracts.

As far as actually getting hold of any of these documents, that's another
matter.  Some are in the National Archives, but an awful lot is not.

Steve

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 6:41 PM Jeremy C. Reed via Internet-history <