[ih] Weaponizing Middleboxes for TCP Reflected Amplification (was Fwd: STD 7, RFC 9293 on Transmission Control Protocol (TCP))

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Wed Aug 24 07:42:55 PDT 2022

Weaponizing Censorship Infrastructure

Abstract

Reflective amplification attacks are a powerful tool in the arsenal of a
DDoS attacker, but to date have almost exclusively targeted UDP-based
protocols. In this paper, we demonstrate that non-trivial TCP-based
amplification is possible and can be orders of magnitude more effective
than well-known UDP-based amplification. By taking advantage of
TCP-noncompliance in network middleboxes, we show that attackers can induce
middleboxes to respond and amplify network traffic. With the novel
application of a recent genetic algorithm, we discover and maximize the
efficacy of new TCP-based reflective amplification attacks, and present
several packet sequences that cause network middleboxes to respond with
substantially more packets than we send. We scanned the entire IPv4
Internet to measure how many IP addresses permit reflected amplification.
We find hundreds of thousands of IP addresses that offer amplification
factors greater than 100×. Through our Internet-wide measurements, we
explore several open questions regarding DoS attacks, including the root
cause of so-called mega amplifiers. We also report on network phenomena
that causes some of the TCP-based attacks to be so effective as to
technically have infinite amplification factor (after the attacker sends a
constant number of bytes, the reflector generates traffic indefinitely). We
have made our code publicly available.

Date Aug 11, 2021 1:30 PM
Event USENIX Security 2021
Location USENIX Security 2021